Perez Defeats #9 Guillermo, Lions Play #16 Pepperdine Tough
LMU forced three 10-point tiebreakers in singles after dropping the doubles point 2-1.
Sophomore Jessica Perez defeated ninth-ranked Lorraine Guillermo of Pepperdine, 6-4, 5-7, 10-8, at #1 singles as LMU (3-17, 0-6 WCC) battled the #16 Waves (12-4, 6-0 WCC) tough in a 6-1 setback at the LMU Tennis Center on Thursday.
With the victory, Pepperdine earned 1.5 points in the Wells Fargo PCH Cup standings. LMU currently leads 9.5-8.
In addition to Perez' top-court victory, LMU forced two other third-set tiebreakers after splitting the first two sets of a singles match. Anna Romeka fell, 5-7, 6-3, 10-8 in a hard-fought match on court three to Matea Cutura, while Julia Norlin fell 10-4 in a tiebreaker to Danielle Feneridis on the sixth court. Norlin won the opening set 6-2, but came up just short in the second, 7-5.
"While Jessica's victory proved to be an individual highlight for our team, we had a number of players who played well today and contributed to the team effort," 40th-year head coach Jamie Sanchez said. "It is our hope that Jessica's performance serves as inspiration for our other players who have been and were right on the cusp of breaking through with victories on other courts."
Perez not only proved big for LMU in singles, she also teamed with Romeka at #3 doubles to top Feneridis and Michaela Capannolo to even the doubles at 1-1, sending all eyes to the second court where #28 Christine Maddox/Cutura edged LMU's Andrea Crespo and Norlin for the point, 6-4.
The Lions will return to action on Saturday when they host #55 Portland at 1:30 p.m. The match will be the final home match of the season for LMU.
Pepperdine University vs LMU (Apr 09, 2015)
#16 Pepperdine University 6, LMU 1
Apr 09, 2015 at LMU Tennis Center
1. Jessica Perez (LMU) def. #9 Lorraine Guillermo (PEP) 6-4, 5-7, 10-8
2. Laura Gulbe (PEP) def. Andrea Crespo (LMU) 6-4, 6-1
3. Matea Cutura (PEP) def. Anna Romeka (LMU) 5-7, 6-3, 10-8
4. Michaela Capannolo (PEP) def. Kristine Kouyoumjian (LMU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Christine Maddox (PEP) def. Ellie Grossman (LMU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Danielle Feneridis (PEP) def. Julia Norlin (LMU) 6-2, 5-7, 10-4
1. Lorraine Guillermo/A.Runglerdkriangkrai (PEP) def. Lisa Piller/Ellie Grossman (LMU) 6-1
2. #28 Christine Maddox/Matea Cutura (PEP) def. Andrea Crespo/Julia Norlin (LMU) 6-4
3. Jessica Perez/Anna Romeka (LMU) def. Danielle Feneridis/Michaela Capannolo (PEP) 6-3
Pepperdine University 12-4, 6-0 WCC; National ranking #16
LMU 3-17, 0-6 WCC
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (5,2,4,6,3,1)
W. Tennis - 5/24/2018
Voracek/Miroshnichenko Advance in NCAA Division I Doubles...
W. Tennis - 5/24/2018
Miroshnichenko Punches Ticket to Round of 16, Becomes LMU...
W. Tennis - 5/23/2018
Miroshnichenko Advances in NCAA Singles Bracket
W. Tennis - 5/2/2018
Miroshnichenko, Voracek Selected to NCAA Individual Field
W. Tennis - 5/21/2018
This Week in LMU Athletics
W. Tennis - 5/8/2018
Bandimere, Elmes Earn Top Honors At 2018 Iggy Awards