April 18, 2008
Third-seeded LMU took an early lead but sixth-seeded San Francisco stormed back for a 4-3 victory in the opening round of the West Coast Conference Tennis Championships Friday at Timothy Korth Tennis Center in Moraga, CA. The Lions (9-14) will face #7 Gonzaga in the Consolation Bracket Saturday.
The teams had been evenly matched back on March 2 when LMU defeated USF 4-3 and this match would be no different. The day began well for the Lions, who secured the doubles point. Tina Razloznik and Caroline Nothnagel put LMU ahead with an 8-1 victory at #3 over Jenny Sperry and Emma Taylor. Shortly thereafter, the #2 team of Jasmin Heckel and Bliss Nixon wrapped up the first point with a tight 8-6 win over Mylene Martin and Jessy Mekpoh. Although it did not count, at #1 doubles, the Lions were also winning at #1 doubles, 7-4.
The match came down to singles, where things again started brightly for the Lions. Nothnagel notched her second win of the day, 6-0, 6-2, over Sarah Oudomvilay at #6 to make it 2-0 LMU and the Lions moved within a point of the overall victory when Razloznik at #3 was the second to finish, 6-3, 6-3 over Taylor. USF began its comeback at #4 with Sperry knocking off Heckel 6-2, 6-3.
Meanwhile, a pair of duels were ensuing on the first and second courts. On court one, 75th-ranked Pavla Mesterova was battling 73rd-ranked Jenni Heinser, with Heinser getting the better of the Lion senior, 6-3, 6-3. On court two, LMU's Tamara Tanner fought back from dropping the first set to Martin but could not keep the momentum going in a 6-3, 1-6, 6-1 defeat. That pulled the sides level and brought the match down to Mekpoh vs. Audrey Bulkley at #5. Mekpoh grabbed the first set 6-4 and pulled out the overall victory by taking the second 7-5.
LMU and Gonzaga will square off Saturday at 11 a.m. The teams have not faced each other this season.
*Match Four Results - USF 4, LMU 3*
1. Mesterova/Tanner (LMU) vs. Heinser/Oudomvilay (USF), 7-4 DNF
2. Heckel/Nixon (LMU) def. Martin/Mekpoh (USF), 8-6
3. Razloznik/Nothnagel (LMU) def. Sperry/Taylor, 8-1
Order of Finish: 3, 2
1. No. 73 Jenni Heinser (USF) def. No. 75 Pavla Mesterova (LMU), 6-3, 6-3
2. Mylene Martin (USF) def. Tamara Tanner (LMU), 6-3, 1-6, 6-1
3. Tina Razloznik (LMU) vs. Emma Taylor (USF), 6-3, 6-3
4. Jenny Sperry (USF) def. Jasmin Heckel (LMU), 6-2, 6-3
5. Jessy Mekpoh (USF) def. Audrey Bulkley (LMU), 6-4, 7-5
6. Caroline Nothnagel (LMU) def. Sarah Oudomvilay (USF), 6-0, 6-2
Order of Finish: 6, 3, 4, 1, 2, 5