Seniors Lead the Way as Lions Rout Cougars in Centennial Match, 6-1
LMU's graduating seniors gain the first three points in singles to win women's tennis's Centennial Match.
April 20, 2012
LOS ANGELES -- The seniors of the Class of 2012 left the LMU Tennis Center in style. LMU (8-14, 5-3 WCC) finished its home schedule with a 6-1 victory over BYU (7-13, 3-4 WCC). The Lions were led by seniors Ashley Anderson, April Bisharat, and Elisaveta Pironkova, who gained the first three points in singles allowing LMU to win its Centennial match celebrating the 100th anniversary of Loyola Marymount University.
The first doubles contest was concluded at court three where April Bisharat and Claudia Razzeto defeated Aubrey Paul and Lisa Waldron 8-1 for their fifth consecutive victory. The win brought the duo's record to 8-1. LMU won the point in #2 doubles as Elisaveta Pironkova and Reka Rohonyi beat Morgan Anderson and Desiree Tran, 8-3. Ashley Anderson and Miya Jinwere the only Lions to fall, losing to Megan Price and Meghan Sheehan-Dizon, 8-6.
In singles the Lions were dominant. April Bisharat, a graduating senior who is returning with another season of eligibility, defeated Desiree Tran, 6-2, 6-1, for Bisharat's third consecutive win in conference. On court six, fellow senior Ashley Anderson beat Lisa Waldron 6-3, 6-2. At #3 singles, senior and team captain Elisaveta Pironkova defeated Meghan Sheehan-Dizon 6-4, 6-2 to win the match for the Lions. "It was only fitting that the three seniors scored the three points in singles to lead us to victory," commented head coach Jamie Sanchez.
After claiming the win, the Lions' underclassmen continued the rout. Claudia Razzeto defeated Morgan Anderson 6-3, 6-2. Reka Rohonyi beat Aubrey Paul 7-6, 6-1 on court five. Miya Jinnearly completed LMU's sweep but fell to Megan Price 7-5, 7-5.
With the win the Lions clinched fourth place in the West Coast Conference. Before traveling to San Diego for the WCC Championships next week, the Lions will compete in their final non-conference contest for of the season this Sunday, April 22 at 1:00 p.m. at Fresno State.
1. April Bisharat(LMU) def. Desiree Tran (BYU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Claudia Razzeto(LMU) def. Morgan Anderson (BYU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Elisaveta Pironkova(LMU) def. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Megan Price (BYU) def. Miya Jin(LMU) 7-5, 7-5
5. Reka Rohonyi(LMU) def. Aubrey Paul (BYU) 7-6, 6-1
6. Ashley Anderson(LMU) def. Lisa Waldron (BYU) 6-3, 6-2
1. Megan Price/Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) def. Ashley Anderson/Miya Jin (LMU) 8-6
2. Elisaveta Pironkova/Reka Rohonyi (LMU) def. Morgan Anderson/Desiree Tran (BYU) 8-3
3. April Bisharat/Claudia Razzeto (LMU) def. Aubrey Paul/Lisa Waldron (BYU) 8-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (1,6,3,2,5,4)