Nov. 6, 2008
LOS ANGELES, Calif. -
CoSIDA Academic All-District Teams
LMU volleyball senior Emily Day was voted to the CoSIDA Academic All-District VIII Team, announced Thursday. Day, a native of Torrance, Calif., was a third team selection, marking the second consecutive year that the Lions have posted a player on the All-District VIII team (Heather Hughes-third team). The selection is Day’s first of her career.
Day is no stranger to academic recognition, having been named to the West Coast Conference All-Academic team in each of the previous two seasons. A mathematics major who carries a 3.54 grade point average, Day has collected a WCC-best 14 double-doubles entering tonight’s showdown against Pepperdine, having recorded one in each of the last two matches. In addition, she places first in the conference, and 16th in the nation, in kills with 359 at a rate of 4.33, and first in the WCC with 414 points. Her 24 service aces at a .29 rate rank seventh, while her 241 digs at a rate of 2.90 digs per set rank eighth in the WCC. In conference matches alone, Day is first in kills (143 total/4.21 per set) and points (164 total/4.82 per set). Day is the team leader in attacks (976), kills (359), service aces (24) and digs (241), is second in block solos (16), and third in total blocks (46). She also pervades the LMU All-Time record books, ranking fifth in total attacks (3,844), sixth in kill average at 3.56 and kills (1,396), eighth in digs (1,096), and 10th in dig average (2.80).
Nominations and voting for the CoSIDA Academic All-District Teams is conducted by members of the College Sports Information Directors of America. To be nominated, a player must have met the following criteria:
- To be nominated, a student-athlete must be a starter or important reserve with at least a 3.30 cumulative grade point average (on a 4.0 scale) at his/her current institution.
- Nominated athletes must have participated in at least 50 percent of the team's games at the position listed on the nomination form (where applicable).
- No student-athlete is eligible until he/she has completed one full calendar year at his/her current institution and has reached sophomore athletic eligibility.
- In the cases of transfers, graduate students and two-year college graduates, the student-athlete must have completed one full calendar year at the nominating institution to be eligible.
- Nominees in graduate school must have a cumulative GPA of 3.30 or better both as an undergrad and in grad school.
District VIII consists of schools located in California, Hawaii, Arizona, New Mexico, Oregon, and Washington.